On-Island Representative

Having an on-island representative is important, not only for insurance purposes, but for weekly or monthly checks of your unit to inspect for any leaks or water damages.  They also provide access to the unit in case of emergencies.  Also, if you are renting your unit either short or long-term, according to Hawaii State Law, you are required to have an on-island representative.  Please see Hawaii’s Landlord Tenant Code, Section 43.D in the Landlord-Tenant Handbook attached below.  The Transient Accommodation Tax bill, which became law without the Governor’s signature, HB 2078 HD2 SD2 CD1 ACT 326 (7/10/12) also requires any operator of a transient accommodation to designate a local contact on the same island where the accommodation is located.